IRIS M™ – Motion Amplification®
The Iris M™ is changing the way companies monitor billions of dollars worth of plant machinery, process lines, structures and other plant assets. The Iris M uses RDI Technologies’ proprietary Motion Amplification® software to detect subtle movement and convert that movement to a level visible with the naked eye. By turning every pixel in the camera into a sensor, Iris M takes millions of measurements in a fraction of a second and it does this with no physical connection to your machinery or equipment. For the first time ever, you will be able to quickly and easily see and communicate what is invisible to the naked eye and transition to analysis and root cause problem solving.
The IRIS M™ includes:
- High speed registration camera
- 4 lenses
- USB power and transmission cable
- Durable suitcase
- Industrial tablet
- Vibration damper
- Software license.
How Does Motion Amplification® Work?
RDI’s patented technology measures deflection, displacement, movement and vibration not visible to the human eye. We utilize video camera technology in conjunction with our software and processing algorithms to extract meaningful data. This technology turns every pixel in the camera’s view into a sensor capable of measuring vibration or motion with high levels of accuracy.
The results lend themselves to a visualization of the motion. We can measure and quantify any structural assets that a camera can see. Motion Amplification™ is a proprietary video processing algorithm that detects subtle motion then amplifies that motion to a level visible with the naked eye which enhances the understanding of the components and interrelationships creating the motion.
Key Features in the 2.5 Software Release :
- Analysis of Rotating Shafts: Several features related to the analysis of rotating shafts have been added: Shaft inspection recordings, High-density recordings, Shaft turning speed detection, Shaft displacement measurements.
- Enhanced MP4 Export: MP4 export now lets you specify the resolution format and quality of the video that is produced. Full HD, HD, and SD formats are now supported.
- Trim Recordings: Motion Amplification™ now supports the ability to trim unwanted content from existing recordings.
- Relative Phase Calculations: Motion Amplification™ now supports relative phase calculations. Specify a phase reference and frequency of interest and relative phase values will be calculated for all of the displayed waveforms. This will allow the user to not only be able to see that an asset is out of phase, but they can calculate an exact number in order to pinpoint relative motion within the context of an image to more effectively find the fault.
- Filtering: More efficient filtering options allow users to filter based on amplitude thresholds and isolation of peaks using a graphical interface.
- Batch Amplification: Users will also be able to apply Motion Amplification™ to entire batches of data, preventing the user from having to wait on the amplification of individual recordings.
Why is Visualization So Important?
Visualization is key to determining faults in machinery, infrastructure, and human performance. You can look at numbers and analysis from tools like accelerometers, strain gauges, modeling software, or even our own patented optical sensing technology and still not be able to visualize what the problem is. Sometimes just being able to see what is happening can change your perspective completely and allow for a more targeted and cost effective approach to fault analysis. There are tools to magnify an image or to offer point measurements on a machine or piece of infrastructure, but no real way to see what is happening live and over the whole asset until now. RDI offers the first non-invasive, simple, and cost effective way to visualize what is happening beyond what you can see with your eye.
We aren’t guessing at the motion or adding in artifacts, you are seeing the true microscopic motions of any object in the field of view.
See more videos on our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnG9WhNr7SKLKpy1yKLa_mw?view_as=subscriber